Here are some tips of how your family can stay safe before, during and after periods ofΒ extreme heat.
Before: Be Prepared for Periods of Extreme Heat
- Make sure your propane tank and cylinders are painted with a light-reflecting color
- Know how and where to shut off the outdoor propane supply and indoor propane appliances
- NEVER store or place a propane cylinder indoors or in an enclosed area such as a basement, garage, shed or tent
- Consider installing a carbon monoxide (CO) detector
During: What to do During Periods of Extreme Heat
- Make sure the area within 10 feet of your propane tank and propane grill is clear of flammable materials. Remove any debris that is easily ignited, including leaves, brush, vegetation and rags.
- Cool down your outdoor propane tank by spraying it with a garden hose
After: Follow these General Safety Rules
- Do not under any circumstances try to modify or repair valves, regulators or other appliance parts
- Do NOT use outdoor propane appliances indoors or in enclosed areas, including outdoor portable heaters, propane grills and portable generators
- Only use appliances indoors that are designed and approved for indoor use