Sign up for news & specials:

LIHEAP Heating Assistance: Washington

AmeriGas supports LIHEAP, the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, for customers who may be having problems affording their heating bills.  LIHEAP is a grant that offers assistance in the form of a cash grant, sent directly to the utility company, or a crisis grant for households in immediate danger of being without heat.

Although it is a federal program, each state administers LIHEAP separately and you should apply directly to your state if you think you are eligible.

Here are details about LIHEAP heating assistance available in the state of Washington.

Am I eligible for home heating assistance through LIHEAP?

Find your household size below to see the maximum monthly income that will still be considered eligible for LIHEAP energy assistance. You can ask your local LIHEAP agency if you are eligible for other energy resources (besides LIHEAP) and you may also qualify for other kinds of assistance and services.

Monthly Income
 1 $1,134
 2 $1,532
 3 $1,930
 4 $2,328
 5 $2,726
 6 $3,124
 7 $3,522
 8 $3,920

What do I need to apply for heating assistance?

You will need to provide the following documents to apply for LIHEAP assistance:

  • Each household member’s gross income for the previous 3 months
  • Social Security number verification
  • Residence
  • Picture ID with birth date
  • Your heating or fuel bill

Where do I apply for heating assistance? Who do I talk to?

Washingtion’s LIHEAP program includes 27 member agencies to serve you. To locate the agency nearest you, visit the state LIHEAP website.

Each agency is a community-based, nonprofit, or government organization that  provides energy assistance to low-income households in their county.

How much assistance can I receive?

If you are eligible, your heating assistance award will be based on your annual heating cost, household size, and your household income.  Benefit awards range from $25 to $1,000.

Where can I learn more?

The Washington state LIHEAP website is an excellent resource. The Department of Commerce, who handles the LIHEAP program for Washington, can be reached via email at or phone at 360-725-2857.

This entry was posted in News Bookmark the permalink. Tags: , , , , ,


  1. Posted March 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

    As I am being over charged every month I have not used my furnace for almost a year and my oven has been broke for many months. I am getting billed aroung 72.00 a month Do they even read the meters?

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *